Friday, January 27, 2017

Book Review: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

The Annotated Phantom TollboothThe Annotated Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is one of the widely known children's books that I had not read until now. And now that I have read it I think I should have read it years back. It would have an added sense of innocent awe if read as a child. Anyways, better late than never. It is one of those children's book that has an equal enthusiasm for adults too (eg The little prince). The Phantom Tollbooth, is not as popular as the other children classics, though. However, It should be read more I believe it is underrated.

The book is about a boy named Milo. The story opens with Milo more or less showing some symptoms of depression, lacking interest in absolutely anything. Certainly, it was not directly stated but was obvious to see from his constant state of spiritlessness. One day he received a big package and the story proceeds ... Milo then explores a wonderful fantasy world.

The structure and plot are simple and fun to read. At the same time, the writing is very creative with lots and lots of puns. It is also a bit of philosophy apt for both children and adults. The central theme of the book remains education and it's purpose. The book includes many fun characters and places that were also very imaginative of the writer and was fun to read for the readers. I enjoyed reading it and will recommend it to everyone above the age of 8.





View all my reviews

Find me on the following; #SocialMedia

No comments:

Post a Comment